Green veggies with flavored butter recipe
This green veggies with flavored butter recipe is a quick and easy side dish that is packed with flavor and nutrients. The recipe features crisp-tender green vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, or green beans, tossed with a delicious and flavorful butter made with garlic, fresh herbs, salt, and pepper.
This recipe serves 4 people and takes about 20-30 minutes to make from start to finish. It’s also relatively affordable, with a total cost of around $9.75-15.50 depending on where you shop. The dish is perfect for adding some extra nutrition and color to your meals, and can be customized to your taste preferences.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can vary the flavor combos; herbs work really well, or you can try things like olives, sun-dried tomatoes, chilli or lemon zest.
You can make it up to a month in advance so it’s one less thing to do on the big day, and keep the leftovers in the freezer so you have an instant flavour injection at your fingertips.
You can use it with anything from fish to chicken, roast lamb, roast potatoes or bread – delicious!
Add the garlic, chilli, rosemary and anchovies to a food processor and whiz until fairly fine. Dice and add the cold butter, then whiz again until well combined.
Get yourself a good-sized piece of greaseproof paper and place the butter into the centre. Fold the paper over and roll it around until you have an even-sized log. Twist up the ends to seal then pop in the fridge or freezer until needed.
- 1 1/2 pounds of green vegetables (such as green beans, broccoli, asparagus, or Brussels sprouts)
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim the green vegetables, removing any tough stems or leaves.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the vegetables and cook until crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes for green beans and broccoli, or 5-8 minutes for asparagus and Brussels sprouts.
- Drain the vegetables and rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Pat them dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the softened butter with minced garlic, chopped parsley, chopped chives, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Melt the flavored butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave.
- Toss the cooked vegetables with the melted flavored butter until evenly coated.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish and garnish with additional fresh herbs if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy your delicious and flavorful green veggies with flavored butter!
- You can use any combination of green vegetables that you like, or that are in season. Some other good options include snow peas, sugar snap peas, zucchini, or kale.
- Make sure to cook the vegetables until they are crisp-tender, which means they are cooked through but still retain some crunch and texture.
- You can use salted butter instead of unsalted butter, but make sure to adjust the amount of salt you add to the flavored butter accordingly.
- If you don't have fresh herbs, you can use dried herbs instead, but reduce the amount by half since dried herbs are more concentrated.
- You can make the flavored butter ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to a week. Just let it come to room temperature and melt it before tossing it with the vegetables.
- To make this recipe vegan, you can substitute the butter with a vegan butter substitute or olive oil, and use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese.
- To make this recipe low-carb, you can use low-carb vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans and substitute the butter with olive oil.
- Leftover veggies with flavored butter can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Reheat them in a covered dish in the oven or microwave, stirring occasionally until heated through.